Friday, September 1, 2017

Spirit Animals Book 6: Rise and Fall - 2017 Book #1

After a long break from blogging, I'm trying to get back into it. This blog is changing to add some other interests of mine, namely my three boys and teaching ideas, but I will continue posting about books I read. I have done a terrible job this year at keeping track of the books I've read so far this year, so I'm just going to pick it up with one of the more recent ones and go from there.

The first book for this year is Spirit Animals Book 6: Rise and Fall by Eliot Schrefer. This book follows Meilin, Abeke, Rollan, and Conor after they have been separated following a devastating betrayal at the end of book 6. This book is full of action. The story isn't complete without sacrifice, escape, cunning, a heart wrenching death, and yet another surprising act of betrayal as the Greencloaks race to retrieve another talisman before the Conquerors - this time from the Great Beast, Cabaro, a giant lion out in the middle of the desert in an oasis guarded by attacking ostriches, fierce lionesses, and other animals who have congregated to join the Great Beast in his sanctuary. I do have to say, the ending is quite terrible, leaving the group of kids wondering if they have any chance of succeeding.

I enjoyed this book. It flowed nicely, made me want to keep turning pages, and was a quick read. However, it didn't have as much of the light-hearted humor coming from Rollan, due to the events from the last several books weighing down on him. Things were a lot more tense as the whole group has been under pressure for the whole length of the series, and things are nearing an end that could be even more catastrophic than events that have happened so far. Because of this, everyone else is more serious as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...