Friday, February 9, 2018

Libraries are Awesome!

My local library had an event on the schedule that I thought sounded really fun for my boys. They were going to be doing a STEAM Storytime this morning.

I'd been planning to take my boys to it ever since I found out about it and was glad that I got them all to bed a little bit earlier last night than I have been lately.

I woke up early this morning with my youngest and played with him for a bit, and then he wanted to just snuggle. The snuggling soon turned into sleeping, and the next thing I knew, it was half an hour before the event was supposed to start!

I was bound and determined to make it on time for the event, so quickly jumped up and got my boys up and ready and out the door. I was impressed with how quickly we all got ready to go this morning. We were just a few minutes late.

They read two stories and sang songs with the kids, and then they had a couple of related math (counting) activities. I wasn't too impressed with the activities, but then I tried to remind myself that this was library after all and all the activities were free, and they would want them to be activities everyone there could do.

I guess I was hoping for a little more STEA instead of just M, but they have one of these activities every two weeks, I think. I plan to take my kids back for the next one, and we'll hopefully see some more from the other areas of STEAM in future activities.

After the activity was over, we went to look for some books. My boys love books, so we grabbed a bunch. Some of their favorites lately are the Elephant & Piggie books by Mo Willems, so we had to pick up one of those. And my oldest is getting really into superheroes, so we picked up one of those as well.

The library had some Take & Make Valentine's crafts, so we picked some of those up, and then the boys saw the coloring pages. So we grabbed some crayons and settled down at the table in the kids' area to color.

After my oldest was done with his picture, (I was so impressed with both of my boys' coloring today. They did such a good job!) he wandered over to the iPads. They have a few set up in the kids' area with a handful of educational games on them. The older two spent some time on there while my youngest brought me books off the shelves and explored the whole area of the library.

Then it was time to go home and have lunch. After lunch, we spent quite some time making Valentines. By this time, it was already pretty late into the afternoon, with not much time left until their dad was coming home from work. What I thought was going to be maybe a one-hour activity for the day ended up providing my boys hours of fun and entertainment.

Aren't libraries just great! What fun things have your libraries done for kids or families?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...